1. Ants have ‘compound eyes“ made from numerous tiny lenses that are good for acute movement detection, but do not offer a high resolution image.
2. Without ears, ants pick up ground vibrations via special sensors on their feet and knees.
3. Ant queens can live up to 30 years, 100 times longer than similar sized insects. By contrast, worker ants only live about a year or so.
4. Termites are often linked to ants, but they’re much closer to cockroaches.
5. The bullet ant is known to deliver the most painful bites (hence the name). The pain can last for 24 hours.
6. The ant is believed to be the smartest insect, with 250,000 brain cells in its tiny head.
7. Army Ants are nomadic. They only live in the same spot for short time, and then pack up their food, eggs, larvae, and the queen to move further.
9. Recent studies show ants can lift 5000 times their weight.
10. Ant colonies can range from a few dozen to trillions.
11. Ants are capable of a wide range of moves, such as jumping, gliding, or rafting. Some species are notable for their ability to form living chains to bridge water or vegetation.